I’ve written a new Journey every Wednesday for six months now! 🤴
To commemorate, I have a special treat for you: This video conversation with Ben Bentzin, founder and CEO of Interactive Health Technologies, makers of wrist-based wearable PE heart rate monitors and assessment technology to support students from kindergarten through graduation.
Ben is special in a lot of ways.
First, because he let me crash in his guest bedroom this weekend at SXSW 2018 (probably saved me a thousand bucks at least) where I and video animator Dave Grossman gave a two-hour workshop on medical device marketing.
Second, because we were in the same Wharton MBA graduating class in 1992. We did the Wharton Follies together, me on stage, him on lights. (Can you believe how thin I was?)
Third, because after an incredibly successful run as a marketer at Dell Computers in the 90s (you know, when $DELL was the #1 performing stock of the decade?!), Ben has been teaching marketing at the University of Texas at Austin for eleven years now!
Fourth, you know, the whole “CEO thing.”
In our very casual talk, we cover a range of topics including:
- His challenges marketing a fitness device to the grammar school market
- What his two go-to online marketing media are
- The completely free Facebook data appending function I never knew existed and can’t wait to use
- The challenges his students have answering healthcare marketing case studies
- The complexity of the Healthcare Four Ps: The patients, physicians, providers, and politicians. (I would add, “payers.”)
- Issues he faces in continued usage once the technology is adopted, which are quite similar to those you may be facing.
With no further adieu, Ben and Joe’s health marketing conversation.
We didn’t have time to “Lucia it up” and when I saw the footage I thought, “Lucia’s going to kill me for not shutting the blinds and creating all that backlighting.”
Of course, half of Ben’s face was cut off for most of the video too. (I’m still learning and I decided sometimes it’s fine to put out raw footage like this. Not everything has to be polished before it’s shared.
So that’s it. Spend the time and pick up a tip or two from Professor Bentzin, my friend.
- Staying top of mind. I know many (most?) of you still aren’t communicating regularly with your networks. Give How the Best Newsletters Get – and Keep – Readers’ Attention a read.
- Podcast much? Andy Crestodina is worth following. Here’s his 24-minute podcast on bad influencer marketing, How to Lose Friends and Not Influence People.
- Your website footer. More Andy goodness: 27 Things to Put at the Bottom.
And a personal “fast round” this week
- 20 years ago, March 15, 1998. I married Beth. That was a good decision. She’s endures me and I’d be lost without her.
- Steven Spielberg. This weekend at SXSW, Steven Spielberg introduced the world premiere of his upcoming blockbuster, “Ready Player One.” He was joined by the author and cast. It was excellent and I want to see it again.
- This is Me? I also saw the “This is Us” season two finale at the same time and in the same theater as stars Milo Ventimiglia, Mandy Moore, and Justin Hartley. From second row dead center, I shot these engaging post-show videos (spoiler alert!) of the show recap and when Milo pranked Justin.
Thank you for joining me on The Journey.
See you next week – or sooner – if you want to thank Beth for supporting me so I can support you,
P.S. It was a good week. Thanks for giving me this medium to share it with you.